0430 206 032 sam@tradesa.com.au

Want to be a Contractor or Director?

Need a National Police check?

Think online.

This newsletter applies to all South Australian Builder, Electrical, Plumber, Gas Fitter and Real Estate Agent applicants.


So you’re wanting to work for yourself. You’ve completed the SA contractor business course (hopefully you spoke to me before this happened) and now you need a Police check. Keep reading on because the process has become a lot easier…


Exemption from a Police Clearance

Who doesn’t need to apply for a National Police Clearance (NPC)? I’ve listed a couple of common scenarios below:

  1. An applicant or director who already holds or is associated with another licence issued under the same Act (e.g. Holds a BLD individual contractor licence and is applying for BLD company licence as a director).
  2. An applicant or director who has lodged an NPC with Consumer & Business Services within the previous 12 months.
  3. An applicant who has held a licence within the last 12 months and is applying for an equivalent licence.

Like always, if you’re not too sure with the above scenarios, contact me anytime.


Applying for a National Police Clearance

So the above doesn’t apply to you? Don’t worry, it normally doesn’t. After years of working within the licensing department and dealing with Police clearance delays, re-prints and lost in post situations, I believe I’ve found the quickest and cheapest pathway to obtaining your clearance.

Apply these steps and you can’t go wrong:

  • CV Check (online National Police Clearance) – cvcheck.com/PoliceChecks
  • Make sure your full legal name and date of birth are correct – if not, it’ll delay your application guaranteed
  • Pay the fee and the clearance will be emailed to you usually within 24 hours

As a side note – if SA Trade Licensing is representing you, starting today, we will take care of this entire process for you.


Common Misconception

I’ve been asked hundreds of times over the years, “I have a clearance to work with children and elderly people, is that enough?”. Sorry, it’s not. Generally, that clearance is State specific and doesn’t perform an Australia wide clearance. Hence you need a National Police Clearance via CV Check.


Expiry Date

If you’re applying for an SA builders, electrical, plumbing, gas fitting or real estate licence, it’s only valid for 12 months from date of issue. No exceptions.

It used to cause problems in the past when the only method was to visit a local Police Station but now with online 24 hour turn-around times, it’s only a small glitch in the licensing process.


Final Thought

SA Trade Licensing is here to take the pressure off the application process and your business. The above is only a small part of what we’ll complete for you, here’s some of the rest:

  • Complete and submit all government paperwork on your behalf;
  • Guarantee an error free process to speed up your licence approval;
  • Safeguard your business, subcontractors and employees regarding licensing compliance; and
  • Visit CBS on your behalf to finalise any outstanding paperwork all at a fixed price.

Be sure to visit the SA Trade Licensing page, tradelicencesa.com.au for further information.